Housing Benefit

If you are in receipt of certain benefits and/or are on a low income and you are eligible, you may be able to get help to pay your rent through Housing Benefit. If you think you may be entitled youll need to apply directly to your local authority.

Claim forms can be obtained from a South Lakeland District Council office in person, by telephone 01539 733333 or by emailing benefits@southlakeland.gov.uk. Claims can also be made online through the SLDC Website.

Please note: If you live in rented property and claim Universal Credit, you do not have to apply separately for Housing Benefit. You will instead receive a Housing element as part of your Universal Credit award. However you will need to provide evidence of your rental liability.

Changes to Housing Benefit from April 2016

If you ask for a Housing Benefit payment to be backdated this can only be allowed for up to 4 weeks from the date you claim and only then if it is reasonable and you had good reason for not claiming earlier. Also, if you go abroad for longer than 4 weeks you wont get any Housing Benefit while you are away. This represents a significant reduction to the existing 13 week rule. In addition from 6th April 2017 the Housing Benefit Regulations are changing to impose a limit of two child allowances in a HB assessment although exceptions will apply.