South Lakes Housing reminds all customers to take out Household Contents Insurance
Many customers believe that South Lakes Housing automatically insure their furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage such as burst pipes. THIS IS NOT THE CASE.
Unfortunately some customers only realise this after the damage has been done. We make it easy for you to insure your belongings under a special household contents insurance scheme. The insurance is arranged with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc and is available only to South Lakes Housing customers.
There are 2 cover levels for you to decide from. Simple cover does not include any cover for Accidental Damage. You also have the option to add cover for Personal Belongings, Hearing Aids, Wheelchairs or Pedal Cycle to Simple or Simple+. The costs for covers are all detailed at the back of this pack.
- Most of your household goods and contents including pedal cycles and computer equipment are insured when in your home.
- They are covered against loss or damage caused by specific events such as theft, fire and flood.
- Also insured are lost or stolen keys, freezer contents, your own legal liability to the public and the cost of alternative accommodation.
- Improvements you have made to your home such as fitted kitchens, bathrooms, wardrobes, laminate flooring, patio doors etc (but not greenhouses or conservatories).
- Simple+ includes Accidental Damage cover.
For general enquiries please call 03456 718 172. Calls may be recorded or monitored.
Before you apply please read the below documents:
4 EASY STEPS TO PROTECT WHAT YOU OWN
- Add up how much money it would cost to replace your contents using the diagram below
- Decide what cover you need after reading the cover options on page 4
- Check the cost for your choice of cover, with the total contents sum insured you need using the rating tables at the back of this pack
- Complete the application form and insert your name/s into the signature box
- Step 1:
- Step 2: Decide what cover suits you
- Your household contents and personal belongings – furniture, TV, clothing, carpets and electrical goods – are insured against loss or damage while they are in your home. The insurance covers specified circumstances including theft, vandalism, fire, flood and escaping water (e.g. from a washing machine or bath). A single item limit of £1,500 applies to contents.
- Tenants liability – Up to 20% of the sum insured for damage to buildings and internal decorations.
- Accidental breakage of mirrors, ceramic hobs in free standing cookers or glass which forms part of the furniture in the home.
- Fridge / Freezer contents – Contents Sum Insured.
- Locks and keys – Up to £500.
- £5,000 Accidental Death benefit as a result of an accident in the home, while travelling as a fare paying passenger by train, bus or taxi or an assault in the street.
- Contents while in the open on the land belonging to your home are insured against loss or damage in specified circumstances including theft, fire and flood – Up to £500.
- Garden huts, outbuildings, garages and greenhouses – Up to £500
- Student possessions which belong to or are the legal responsibility of students while temporarily removed from your home to student lodgings are insured against loss of or damage in specified circumstances including theft, fire and flood – Up to £2,500.
- Theft of money by bogus officials – Up to £300.
- Trees, shrubs, plants, hedges and lawns on the land belonging to your home are insured against specified circumstances including theft, fire and vandalism – Up to £250.
- Valuables are items which are particularly prone to theft, such as jewellery, watches, clocks, articles of precious metal, pictures, works of art and stamp, coin and medal collections. Valuables are covered in total up to 1/3 of the contents sum insured and a single item limit of £1,500 applies.
- No excess applies to this cover.
- All the cover provided by Simple, plus cover for accidental damage to the contents of your home – Excludes damage to clothing, contact lenses, food, drink and plants.
- No excess applies to this cover.
Up to £3,000 cover available for personal belongings, including sports equipment whilst in the British Isles and temporarily elsewhere in Europe up to a maximum of 14 days. Please note: Personal Belongings cover is subject to a single article limit of £350.
Hearing Aids and Wheelchairs
Up to £3,000 cover available for hearing aids and wheelchairs whilst in the British Isles and temporarily elsewhere in Europe up to a maximum of 14 days.
Up to £3000 cover available for loss or damage to your Pedal Cycles against specified causes such as fire, theft, storm and flood.
Please note this Policy is not a maintenance contract, it does not cover all losses.
The Policy does not cover:
- Loss or damage by scorching without a fire actually starting.
- Loss or damage by wear and tear, maintenance, electrical, mechanical or electronic breakdown, leaks and anything which happens gradually, radioactive contamination, war risks, sonic bangs, pollution or contamination, rot, date change and computer viruses and terrorism.
- Any items used for business or professional purposes.
- Losses by certain causes when the home has been unoccupied for more than 60 days in a row.
This is only a brief summary of what the Policy does and does not cover. Full details of the conditions and exclusions are given in the Policy; a specimen Policy document is available on request.
STEP 3: Use this section to choose which price is correct for the cover you want
- Step 4 : Application Form