Your Tenancy

We can help you understand what to expect from your tenancy with us. From signing the legal documents, moving in, leaving your home or transferring to a new property we’re here to support you.

  • Managing Your TenancyRead More

    Your tenancy agreement is the document you sign when you agree to become the tenant of your home. It is a contract between you and us and records information such as your name, the date you became our tenant and your rent and other charges. It also lists the other conditions you must keep to as a tenant.

    When you first become a tenant you will hold a probationary (starter) tenancy for the first 12 months. At the end of this time, we will review your tenancy and grant you an assured (lifetime) tenancy if we are satisfied that you have kept to the agreement. If you have been a tenant with us prior to our transfer in April 2012, you are likely to hold an assured tenancy with protected rights all the rights you had with South Lakeland District Council.

    If you have any problems keeping to the terms and conditions set out in your tenancy agreement, please tell us straight away and we will do what we can to support you.

  • Changes Of TenancyRead More


    In some circumstances, it is possible to transfer your tenancy to a spouse, partner or family member, this is known as assignment. You can only transfer your tenancy to a family member with our approval. Swapping your tenancy (mutual exchange) with another housing association or council tenant is also classified as an assignment.


    A partner or adult family member may be able to take over your tenancy if you die, this is known as succession. Your tenancy will automatically transfer to any remaining joint tenant. If there is no remaining joint tenant, the tenancy can pass to someone eligible, as long as the tenancy did not pass to you by succession.

    If nobody is eligible to succeed your tenancy, we will serve a notice to end the tenancy.

  • Ending Your TenancyRead More

    If you would like to end your tenancy, you must give us four weeks notice. On the death of a tenant, we will not insist on four weeks notice but request that the keys be returned at the earliest opportunity as rent will continue to be charged until the keys are handed back to us. Please remember that you must leave the property in a good condition and failing to do so can result in being recharged for the cost of putting this right. You should remove all of your belongings and rubbish from the property.

    We will install a key safe at the property where you can leave the keys.  You will be advised of the code to the key safe. Keys need to be returned on the day your tenancy ends by 12 noon. If the keys are not returned by this time you may be charged an additional rent for each week you keep hold of the keys.  In the event the tenant has died please contact us to advise the keys have been placed in the keys safe.

    End your tenancy online here >

  • Rights And ResponsibilitiesRead More


    To have a cat, dog or similar animal you will need to contact us to ask permission. We usually say yes, but you must be a responsible pet owner meaning that you pick up after your animal and keep it under control at all times. We will refuse permission if you ask to keep any illegal dog breeds or any other animals that appear to be bred for fighting.


    You are responsible for dealing with wasps, ants, insects, rats and other pests and vermin in your home. If you are aged 63 and over we will send someone to treat these on your behalf.

    Gardens & Trees

    You are responsible for maintaining your own garden, keeping it clean, tidy and the grass cut. If you have a garden timber shed, you are responsible for maintaining and repairing this. In some cases, we will only fit new fencing to the front of your home. However, we are not responsible for fencing round the perimeter, this is your responsibility or a shared responsibility with your neighbour. Trees that are situated in your garden are your responsibility and we take responsibility for trees in shared areas.

    Parking & Vehicles

    You and your visitors are responsible for parking considerately. We will not allow for untaxed or un-roadworthy vehicles to be stored at your home and work closely with the police and DVLA to deal with abandoned vehicles. You must seek permission to park caravans or motor homes on your drive or in communal parking areas.