Changes Of Tenancy


In some circumstances, it is possible to transfer your tenancy to a spouse, partner or family member, this is known as assignment. You can only transfer your tenancy to a family member with our approval. Swapping your tenancy (mutual exchange) with another housing association or council tenant is also classified as an assignment.


A partner or adult family member may be able to take over your tenancy if you die, this is known as succession. Your tenancy will automatically transfer to any remaining joint tenant. If there is no remaining joint tenant, the tenancy can pass to someone eligible, as long as the tenancy did not pass to you by succession.

If nobody is eligible to succeed your tenancy, we will serve a notice to end the tenancy.