Who We Are
SLH was formed to improve the quality of affordable homes in the area and the service which customers receive. Since receiving over 3,000 transferred homes in 2012 we have achieved the initial outcomes and promises we made to tenants, including;
- £65M spent on improving and maintaining homes, including £4M on environmental improvements
- More than 150 affordable homes have been built or acquired
- Rents have been kept to an affordable level
SLH is an independent, not-for-profit housing association and is the largest provider of affordable rented housing in South Lakeland, Cumbria.
We are pleased that the regulator continues to recognise the effective governance of South Lakes Housing retaining our G1 rating. The rating of V2 reflects that we are successfully managing increased risk to deliver our ambitious plans.
- Sustainability- Reducing our impact on the environment and conduct our business in a socially responsible and ethical manner.
- Learning- Learn from our mistakes and successes. Seek and provide honest feedback. Open to personal change and continuous improvement.
- Inclusivity- Committed to creating an inclusive culture where we treat our customers, colleagues and stakeholders with respect, honesty, empathy and fairness.
- Challenge- Challenge what we do, seek out and test new approaches and ideas, collaborate with others and share our learning. Listen to our customer’s needs and challenges.
- Excellence- What we do, we strive to do well, to deliver a great customer experience/outcome.
SLH Business Strategy
South Lakes Housing provides good quality homes in one of the most beautiful areas of in the country. The need for quality affordable homes has never been greater, with many working families unable to afford market homes. A rapidly ageing population, fuel poverty and flood prone areas provide the backdrop to our priorities for action.
Our purpose Quality Homes, a platform for life has been central to our planning for the future.
We are ambitious about the lasting impact we will have over the next five years and beyond on improving customer experience, their homes, neighbourhoods, energy efficiency, affordability and a new supply of quality homes. Like many social, community-based housing associations we are grappling with the challenges of meeting growing housing need, decarbonising an ageing housing stock, and mitigating against the real risk of future flooding. This, in addition to the core expectations of keeping our homes safe and maintained to a good quality.
Our business strategy for 2020-2025 focuses on 3 key strategic themes; Growing, Greening and Transforming.
For more information please open the link to the Business Strategy Summary, Mid Term Review Update- February 2023
We’ve looked at good practice from other organisations and met with colleagues from across SLH to develop our behaviours framework.
By living these behaviours every day, our colleagues, managers and senior managers are living our shared SLICE values and helping to deliver our vision of ‘Quality Homes, a platform for life’.
- Genuinely care- Cares about delivering high quality services for our customers, colleagues and stakeholders.
- Take responsibility- Takes ownership for delivering high-quality outcomes.
- Have respect- Respects diversity; listens to and has empathy for colleagues and customers.
- Be adaptable- Responds flexibly to get things done.
- Work together- Works collaboratively across teams and services to deliver.
- Be curious- Curious about new approaches and ways of working.
- Make it happen- Prioritises work, uses initiative and is solutions focused.
- Always improving- Continually learning and always looking for ways to improve.
We use our behaviours framework every day -from how we recruit people to join us, to our LEAP Together performance reviews, and as a framework for solving problems and making decisions.
Were a PlaceShaper, a national network of more than 100 community-focused housing associations. Together we own and manage 850,000 homes, are building 36,000 homes and provide services to more than two million people. We re-invest 100% of our profits into our homes and communities and have helped more than 60,000 people into work since 2010.
We have a business objective to develop commercial partnerships and PlaceShapers provides a platform for building networks and strategic alliances with like-minded organisations.
Find out more at www.placeshapers.org
Homes for Cathy
We are also members of the ‘Homes for Cathy’ Group which is a national alliance of housing associations from people across the UK helping to raise awareness of the needs of homeless people.
Find out more at www.homesforcathy.org.uk