Test and Trace Support Payment
The Government has placed a new duty on individuals to self-isolate if someone tests positive or is identified as a contact by NHS Test and Trace. To support those on low incomes who cannot work during their self-isolation period, a Test and Trace Support Payment of a £500 lump sum payment has been introduced.
Who is eligible
In order to be eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment you must:
- have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because you have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
- be employed or self-employed
- be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
- be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.
If you are not receiving one of the qualifying benefits but are on a low income and self-isolation will cause you hardship, or you do not currently have Recourse to Public Funds, you may still be entitled under a special discretionary scheme.
To be considered for the discretionary scheme you need evidence that:
- your household is on a low income. We will look at whether your level of household income for the period of self-isolation would normally be eligible for state benefits
- you have basic living costs that you cannot meet such as rent, food, fuel etc and don’t have savings or other income to meet these costs
Who is not eligible
You will not be eligible for this scheme if you:
- are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period)
- continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate
- can work from home during a period of self-isolation
- are no longer required to self-isolate. eg your period of self-isolation ended before the scheme was launched on 28th September 2020
- have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate