Stepping up to deliver 152,000 homes
SLH’s new homes are part of 88,000 being built by PlaceShapers in the next five years.
PlaceShapers is a network of more than 100 community focused housing associations. Its new We Build report sets out the increasing contribution that members have made – and will make – to solving the housing crisis.
In the next five years SLH will build at least 250 new homes with ambitions to go even higher.
Cath Purdy, SLH Chief Executive said: As a PlaceShaper we build affordable homes that respond to local need. Our homes are more than bricks and mortar. Our homes build and shape communities.
We Build was launched at the Chartered Institute of Housing conference on Tuesday 27 June. We Build shows that:
- PlaceShapers will complete 88,000 new homes in the next five years. This is a 12% overall increase on existing housing stock and 35% of homes predicted to be built by the housing association sector by 2022.
- Over a 10-year period, PlaceShapers are ramping up to deliver an additional 152,000 new homes by 2027, almost doubling our recent output.
- PlaceShapers members have built over 52,000 new homes in the last six years with at least 11,400 in the past year alone.
PlaceShapers chair Sin©ad Butters said: We see the housing crisis everyday as people are priced out of decent, secure and genuinely affordable homes. We are part of the solution and are stepping up to deliver 152,000 new homes across all tenures by 2027.
- Read more about We Build at http://www.placeshapers.org/we-build/
- PlaceShapers is a national network of more than 100 community based housing associations. More than 25% of people who live in a housing association home in England live in one our homes and our services are used by more than two million people.
- We build more than homes – we shape communities and unite around shared values as a voice for change.
- We Build was researched by Campbell Tickell and is based on responses from 86% of members.
- We Build is the successor to We Work, the 2016 campaign which showed how PlaceShapers have helped 60,000 into training or employment since 2010.