Vital Gas Safety Inspections
We understand that we are in uncertain and worrying times but the safety of our customers is our main priority. As we are all now spending more time at home it is essential that your gas appliances are working correctly and safely. There is a legal requirement, which hasn’t changed due to Coronavirus, for us to carry out essential gas safety checks in your home and these are vital to protect you and your family. For more information on our legal requirements for gas safety checks please click here.
If you have a gas safety check booked we will be in contact with you prior to an engineer arriving to ensure that it is safe for us to carry out the appointment and you are happy for the appointment to go ahead.
If you are a vulnerable customer and are self-isolating due to coronavirus please contact us and let us know so that we can reschedule your appointment to carry out the gas safety checks once the isolation period is over.
If your gas safety check is due, we will continue to contact you to arrange an appointment.
When a gas safety check is taking place we will follow these procedures:
- We aim to complete the appointment as soon as possible as your safety is our top priority.
- You are not required to be in the room whilst our gas engineer carries out the inspection.
- Our gas engineers will only enter rooms where they need to carry out inspections and will comply with social distancing.
- Our gas engineers will follow full Safe Systems of Work protocols and will follow all Public Health England hygiene guidelines. – They will leave your home clean and tidy and will sanitise any surfaces and areas they have come in contact with.
If you refuse access we will continue to contact you about your gas safety check, we will make a note and rearrange your appointment based on the information you provide us. We have a legal requirement to carry out important gas safety procedures.
If you can allow us access into your home to carry out these gas safety checks, please do. However, if you have any worries and wish to change your appointment or have any questions please do get in touch with us:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 0300 303 8540
For more information regarding gas safety checks please visit the Gas Safe Register Website
Repairs Service- We are still here to help
The safety of you and your home is still our main priority. We would urge you to still report any repairs to us even if you don’t think that they are an emergency as we are still able to log the repair in our system.
We will then be able to decide if your repair is an emergency or if the repair can wait until we can resume normal service.
You can report repairs through our online form here.
We have a friendly and knowledgeable team who are still available to contact so if you have any questions or queries please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Being a Good Neighbour
We are in very stressful and worrying times especially for those who are self-isolating, unwell, have children at home and for those who are key workers providing valued help and support.
We can all still be good neighbours during the Coronavirus crisis, we would ask that you be a good neighbour during this time.
Be mindful of the Governments requirement of social distancing and that you need to keep a 2m distance between yourself and others that are not from your household. You must ensure you do not have visitors to your home other than those persons providing an essential service.
Wash your hands with soap and water often and do this for at least 20 seconds, even if you haven’t been outside you may have been in communal areas or touched door handles, hand rails, door entry panels and lift buttons.
You can be a good neighbour by:
- Being open-minded of your neighbours and aware that their lifestyle may differ from yours.
- Keeping the volume of music, TVs and any audio equipment at an acceptable level and putting them away from walls that connect your neighbours’ home.
- Carrying out repairs to vehicles or doing DIY, during daytime hours when it is least likely to disturb your neighbours.
- Parking in a courteous way that doesn’t obstruct access or your neighbours right of way.
- Making sure your pet doesn’t create a mess or noise that impacts on your neighbours.
If you feel you are being affected by anti-social behaviour, please visit our report anti-social behaviour page
Community Support and Useful Resources
We’ve made a directory of local and national support services available to help you and your families during the coronavirus outbreak. The directory includes financial and employment advice services, educational activities for children, and mental health resources.
Money and benefits
Refugee, Asylum & Immigration Support
Health and wellbeing
Disability & Impairment
Advice / other
Educational resources and activities
Domestic Abuse Support
If you are self-isolating due to Coronavirus and feel at risk from a partner or family member in the home, don’t suffer in silence, talk to someone that can help.
In an emergency, always dial 999 – if you are unable to speak always press ’55’ when prompted to confirm an emergency.
It is important to remember:
- Domestic violence and abuse can be actual or threatened and can happen on a regular basis or once every so often.
- It can happen to anybody, in different types of relationships.
- People suffer domestic abuse regardless of their age, gender, social group, class, race, disability, sexuality or lifestyle.
- The abuse can begin at any time – in new relationships or after many years together.
- Children are affected by domestic abuse both in the short and long term.
If you are a South Lakes Housing tenant you can contact us for support or for us to signpost you for advice. You can contact us by calling us on 0300 303 8540 or emailing: email@example.com
- Springfield Domestic Abuse Support- South Lakeland| https://springfieldsupport.org/ | 01539 720313
- Victim Support- supportline | https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/help-and-support/get-help/supportline | 0808 168 9111
- Women’s Aid | womensaid.org.uk | 0808 200 0247 (24hours) | www.womensaid.org.uk/information-support/
- Refuge (includes information for men) | www.refuge.org.uk | 0808 200 0247 (24 hours)
- National Domestic Violence helpline on 0808 200 0247 (24 hours)
- Men’s Advice Line- advice and support for men experiencing domestic violence and abuse. |www.mensadviceline.org.uk | 0808 801 0327
- GALOP (LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline) | https://www.galop.org.uk/domesticabuse/ | 0800 999 5428
- Mankind– advice and support for men experiencing domestic violence and abuse. | https://www.mankind.org.uk/ | 01823 334244
- Police 101 (non-emergency)
- Contact @CrimestoppersUK, anonymously on 0800 555 111
A message from our CEO, Cath Purdy
I know the rapidly evolving situation regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) across the UK will be causing concern to many of you. In such a worrying time I wanted to inform you of adjustments we are making to your service from South Lakes Housing. I would like to reassure you of our continued commitment to protecting you and our staff, ensuring we prioritise urgent services you may need during this challenging time.
In order to reduce non-essential contact in the coming weeks, we expect to be limiting any visits to your home to carry out emergency and essential repairs only. Any other repairs within your home will be re-arranged for a future date. We are not sure when we will be able to return to a full service so please have patience as it is necessary in these unprecedented times to prioritise your safety and welfare and that of our staff.
If you or a member of your household has symptoms of coronavirus www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ we will only enter your home to carry out health and safety emergency repairs and we will require the person with symptoms of the virus to remain in another room whilst our staff are working in your house.
Please be assured that we will continue to offer as full a range of services as possible. However contact with you will be mostly by phone, email or through My Account. You may want to ensure we have your up to date phone number and email address and you can do this by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We know some of our older customers and those with health vulnerabilities will be concerned so we will be contacting all sheltered residents by phone and keeping in regular contact with our older tenants where possible.
For those unable to work, either through ill health or the knock-on effect of the measures taken by Government or employers, you may be concerned about falling behind with your rent payments. If you have any concerns about loss of income and paying your rent please contact the income team on 0300 303 8540 or email@example.com.
You will also find useful information about benefits at the DWP website. https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/coronavirus/
The situation is evolving every day and we will need to adjust our services further as the Government introduce further measures. Please keep up to date by visiting our website www.southlakeshousing.co.uk where any changes to our services will be regularly updated. We will also be able to signpost you to any support groups in your area which may be able to offer you help with essential shopping and other support.
Remember to follow the Government’s recommended hygiene rules by thoroughly and regularly washing your hands (20 seconds) and avoiding touching your face along with the guidance on social distancing and self-isolation. Useful websites for more detailed information include;
Finally, I realise that this is an uncertain situation for everyone but rest assured we will do everything we can to keep your home safe and support you as best we can during this difficult time.
Support for our Customers
We have recently contacted our customers who are over 70 to see if they need any extra support and to signpost them to support that is available in the community.
We are now contacting our other vulnerable customers to see if they may also need some support.
If you or anyone you know is a South Lake Housing customers and may need some extra support please get in touch with us no matter your age or medical condition.